GAMBLING ADDICTION: self test
1. Did you ever lose time from work or school due to gambling?
2. Has gambling ever made your home life unhappy?
3. Did gambling ever affect your reputation?
4. Have you ever felt remorse after gambling?
5. Did you ever gamble to get money with which to pay debts or otherwise solve
6. Did gambling cause a decrease in your ambition or efficiency?
7. After losing did you feel you must return as soon as possible and win back
8. After a win did you have a strong urge to return and win some more?
9. Did you often gamble until your last dollar was gone?
10. Did you ever borrow to finance your gambling?
11. Have you ever sold anything to finance gambling?
12. Were you reluctant to use "gambling money" for normal expenditures?
13. Did gambling make you carelessof the welfare of yourself and your family?
14. Did you ever gamble longer than you had planned?
15. Have you ever gambled to escape worry or trouble?
16. Have you ever committed, or considered committing an illegal act to finance
17. Did gambling cause you to have difficulty in sleeping?
18. Do arguments, disappointments or frustrations create within you an urge to
19. Did you ever have an urge to celebrate any good fortune by gambling?
20. Have you ever considered self destruction as a result of your gambling?
Most compulsive gamblers will answer "yes" to at least 7 of these questions.
In the world today compulsive gambling has become a problem of menacing proportions. Men and women who are in the grip of this compulsion know misery and despair. They seem powerless to escape, and often apparently do not want to escape. For those who would, the first step is an honest appraisal of areas in which gambling has beome a problem.
GAMBLING means playing games of chance for money. A compulsive gambler is a person whose gambling causes a continuing and growing problem in any department of his or her life. They become dominated by an irresistible obsessive urge to gamble. Often they appear bent upon their own destruction.
GAMBLERS ANONYMOUS / P.O.Box 17173 / Los Angeles, CA 90017
Tel (213) 386- 8789